Saturday, November 30, 2013

The trip to get Beer!

For Thanksgiving this year, we headed out to New Glarus, WI to get the best beer ever that has the same name as it's town. Two cases, three fruit beers and apple ales for $95...not bad!



Before that, we bought a giant tent and stayed over night in Madison and...of all things...we went suburban shopping. 

Suburban shopping is when one goes out to the super centers and malls. I rarely do this anymore as there aren't really any of these in Chicago - or at least near me. And I don't shop full price or new stuff usually.
So when we do this...it's kindof a big and silly deal for us. 


That's the tent we got from Craigslist for Logan's show in January called Show Party (you should come!). Horrible pic, but the gent who was selling the tent is a huge flea market and auction buff. Love when I make second hand connections.

Now, sometimes I can't find the right thing at my local thrift store. Sometimes I actually have spend more at a consignment shop. Enter Plato's Closet - 5 minutes from our hotel. 



*Disclaimer...In case it's not obvious yet...* I'm a thrift store snob. If it's more than $6, it better a really good item. Some folks (Logan) call that cheap. I call it Snobby! 

I'll be real honest here...the Plato's Closet in Lincoln Park - the closest one to me - is not good. The stuff is decent, but they over price everything. Not a huge fan. The Plato's Closet in Madison though, very nice. Great items, great price ranges. Got a shirt and shoes for $10. And everyone was super nice, even though it was 8pm on Black Friday.  



Ok...Claire's is not a thrift store...and I am no longer a teenager. But let me tell you, that $10 for 10 items sale that they have during major holidays - don't act like you don't know what I'm talking about - is an epic sale. I've been doing this sale every time I've stepped into a mall since I was 15.  I bought $142 worth of pieces for $18.25 (I bought some special items too).

Oh, that Nikon Bag...not a thrift store buy either :). Used my savings from Claire's on a Gary Fong Diffuser. Happy Birthday to ME!






In route to New Glarus, the next day, we stopped off at a Savers. I did a little research before going in. Apparently it's a for-profit thrift store chain that helps out local non-profits in their area. Cute!

At first glace, Savers doesn't look like a great store. The plates and knick knacks are over priced and there's not much to look at.

But then I went to the clothes section. Lots of great work clothes from $3 to $8 - and the higher end pieces were from higher end designers. I got three new shirts for $15. Logan got two shirts and a new set of Keens (worn maybe once?) for $45. 

All in all, twas a good trip! Now to prepare for going to back to work on Monday...I can do this! 





No comments:

Post a Comment